Monday, October 3, 2011

...The Revolution Will Not Be Televised...

Gil Scott Heron said it best, "The revolution will not be televised...but it will be live!"  I see what a LIVE news feed via the social network is capable of doing.

Just over the weekend, I have seen updates of Occupy Wall Street...taking over the Brooklyn Bridge!  I have seen reports of Occupy Chicago, protests in Boston with Bank of America and even a close friend of mine fighting for what's right in her own community in Dallas, TX, by going on a hunger strike (Shout out to Jennifer Thibeaux...check out her story on Facebook)!  These things are amazing and are reaching us by our own voices, NOT THE LYING ASS MEDIA!!!  I love it!

I personally am not out there protesting (at the moment), but I feel I'm there in spirit.  I feel like I'm protesting in my own way here at home, and it shows in various ways.  I often think of the quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world!"  The few things I am passionate about at this time is my child(ren)'s education and how we welcome these beautiful beings into the world!  Obviously, we are living in a time where everyone is "...mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"  I have been that way for a while and slowly but surely my journey is showing me the way on my path.

I believe that it does take a village to raise a child...I believe that knowledge is power and with the right tools of knowledge, parents will make an informed decision of how they want to birth their babies into this world...with or without my assistance as a midwife or doula...and with all the resources out there, educating our children rather then relying on the state we reside to program our children how to take a test.

Before I began this blog entry, two amazing things happened...both by black men!  First, was a post that I was tagged on, from a friend of mine, sharing a story about parents choosing home birth as opposed to hospital birth.  The other was a friend having respect not only for himself but me as a mother, to make sure it was OK to accept a friend request from my daughter via Facebook.  IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE OUR CHILDREN!  I am so proud to see not only men, but black men making their voice heard...taking the time to gain knowledge as well as share it.  To not be ashamed for having a relationship with a child, to assist in her growth and experience as a spiritual being having a human experience, not thinking the relationship as "improper".  Last but certainly not least, my husband, who I have seen grow as a father, regardless if that child is his biologically or not...and a child that made the decision on her own to address and acknowledge him as her "Pop"!  I want to see this happen with EVERY community; however, as a black woman and my first focus is my black community, I applaud it when I see it happening!  So many times it gets ignored, yet we still have much work to do!

There is a revolution occurring, and it surely IS NOT always televised, it is happening in our NOW!  Are you awake?!  What are YOU ready to change in the world?

Wake up, let it go & LOVE!  Have a beautiful day everyONE!  I love YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment